Goorillas are little monkeys made of goo. They stretch, get stuck to things and sometimes they splat!

Thursday, January 15, 2015

DevTrek Week 1 - Characters and Game Board

So the first week of the Goorillas game DevTrek has flown by. I've seen the sights, found a few nice restaurants and been on a decent walk everyday. At the same time I've done some work starting to build the game.

The first thing I did was finalise the characters for this game. Each character has their own attributes and motivations so they have their own story as well as being together on the journey to ShanGoori-La. That was a lot of fun to do.

The next thing I did was compare the Goorilla characters line up with characters from many cartoons and video games we all know and love. I've tried to make them stand out as something new.

Finally I made the game board and populated it with the assets, the characters and things a player can match in the game, like bananas and pineapples.

Here's a screenshot taken on my Android phone.


The graphics are pretty simple so they didn't take long to make. What has taken a while, and continues to do so, is the iterative process of 'look at it, decide what could be better, make the change, then look at it again'. I've spent ages looking at this screen asking myself questions like; 'Do the colours work together?', 'Is the banana thick enough?', 'Is the strawberry too big?'

The first time I liked the visual I took it outside to see what it looked like in daylight, then came back in with more changes in mind.

Any feedback about the characters, the other assets, colours etc. is appreciated.

For now I'm going to remember those questions, I'll ask them to potential players when the prototype is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment