Goorillas are little monkeys made of goo. They stretch, get stuck to things and sometimes they splat!

Friday, October 31, 2014

Game Concept Feedback From Draft Ideas

The aim of this blog is to get feedback as I go along developing the game, so I can make it better.

Since starting with a few ideas and a blank piece of paper at the beginning of the month I've already gotten some useful feedback which I thought I'd post before development begins tomorrow.

Gameplay feedback:

1 - The concentration element of the game, combined with the matching element may be tough for younger players.

Perhaps I'll have a 'kid' mode for the game or I'll leave the concentration gameplay element for later levels. I'll find out if players like it during play testing for sure. For now I have shifted this feature down in priority.

2 - Collecting items by matching them could mean you collect them to help the Goorillas on their journey, food items like bananas for example.

Nice idea! I'll pop that feature into the design straight away.


Aesthetics feedback:

For the last few weeks in my spare time I've been testing out a few different game technologies. Along the way I created a few mock-ups to try things out. This also helped to visualise the Goorilla characters and a few obvious tweaks are:

1 - Goorilla's face needs to be bigger, and his tooth needs to lose the sharp edge to make him look friendlier.

2 - Googar's eyes need to be bigger. (Googar is a cougar made out of goo.)

Technology & next steps:

It will essentially be a 2D game, with the occasional nice special effect as that is what players have come to expect from the genre.

I'm going to build the game in Unity3D and initially target Android. My experiments with the technology so far have been interesting, but there is nothing like building something to understand the technology and the process better.

If anybody in the blogosphere has any comments on the game concept before I begin then please add a comment or message me via Facebook @Goorillas thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment