Goorillas are little monkeys made of goo. They stretch, get stuck to things and sometimes they splat!

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Goorillas - Gameplay Ideas

So I made good use of the time stuck waiting for a plane and sketched out a few ideas for the first Goorillas game.

What could make the game unique are the Goorilla characters which stretch, get stuck to things and occasionally go splat!


The game I'm going to create draws together elements from tile matching video games, the card game concentration and a little bit from whack games, all of which are games I have experimented with before. Play testing and finding out what players like from previous projects is certainly being considered at this early drawing board phase.

Being able to visualise the Goorillas moves makes it comparable to the competition, and it looks like the game should stand out as a bit zany :)

Times when I'm travelling and don't have WiFi are always good for letting my mind wander and ideas form.

I've drawn it very simply, much like a storyboard for a video, or a wireframe for a website, so it is easy for people to give me feedback straight away.  (Please leave me a comment if you have any thoughts.)

So far the feedback has been positive and constructive which is great. My other ideas for games with these characters were either too ambitious for the time frame or were not as well received. So it is easy to throw away things that don't work early on and focus on something that is achievable, something that might work.

The proposed gameplay has developed from the characters unique qualities, from experimentation and consideration of past game projects and from observing what players like when they play games. I know there is no formula for success but hopefully this three pronged approach will yield a fun game.

No comments:

Post a Comment